During a class visit at Rylee’s Ace Hardware in Grand Rapids, MI, I had learned some great techniques on getting good employees through Matthew Jamrog.
There are 3 steps in getting great employess:
Know how to interview – “10% of employees will cause 90% of your headaches” –
- 1st – have a set of core questions to ask during every interview
- Examples: Biggest Accomplishment? Best second chance given? Why do you want to work here?
- 2nd – Ask questions that have follow- up questions
- Examples: Why was that your favorite job? What about made that accomplishment so important to you?
Feeling of Importance = Motivated Employees –
- give them responsibilities –
- let them know when they do a great job! –
Let them know when they fall short of expectations BEFORE the problem gets worse –
- “I noticed you were a little late today. Is everything ok? Is there something I can do to help?”
- Everyone wants to make their boss happy –
- if you make your employees feel important, give them a sense of belonging, appreciated and like they are accomplishing something = generates loyalty!
In simple terms abide by the golden rule “treat others they way you want to be treated!”